Oh hi, it's been a while. Let's talk about the last acting class, shall we?
It's odd to think about how we only talk to get things out of people. It's our only purpose for communicating, we just want something out of the other people we are talking to. Manipulation has a bad reputation, so when Luke brought this up I immediately (as always) tried to think of ways to fix this bad aspect about me. Then Luke mentioned that everyone is doing this to each other, and that's it inevitable. You can't help yourself when it comes to this, unless you just don't talk. So, I got over it and moved on.
Then Came the Arguing.
Oh, the arguing. There's a moment when you're sitting there with your best friend, screaming at her about the weather, that you realize it stopped being about the weather when the two of you sat down. The Arguing becomes a battle in which you want to prove that jerk opposite you wrong. In your head, their opinion is wrong, it's complete rubbish to you. YOU'RE RIGHT, obviously, not them! It makes sense to argue about the weather, I guess, seeing as it does exist.
But when the two of you start screaming at each other about something that Never even Happened? That's when it gets Freaky.
I could not believe the things I was saying about the Planet of the Vampires, and the past explorations there. How we were better than the past explorers, how we weren't going to get our heads torn off. Or how we needed to hightail it out of there because we had not a chance in Hell of surviving there. Where in the world was my mind coming up with this crap? More importantly, why was I so passionate about both sides of the story when I was arguing them? It's fair to say that by the end of this acting class, I was throughly freaked out by what's going on up in my head. But then again, when am I not?
Cool how it works, huh? We care more about winning than the content over which we are fighting. Explains all the wars and problems of humanity and relationships, etc.
ReplyDeleteIn general, I am a person who straddles the fence. There are two sides to everything, and hence most things eventually simply are. Things that most consider pejorative are for me mostly connotative. Manipulation is simply a concept, and most people feel it has a connotation to it, and therefore it has a pejorative stain to it, but it is only a word to describe a particular action that has no moral sense to it.