Monday, April 15, 2013

Some Plans for Q4.

A Major
     This quarter, I plan to continue studying more drama and film acting. I find it interesting and even quite challenging, so, why not? I'm relatively new to all of this acting and whatnot  so this'll probably be another quarter of exploring, with a tentative finished product at the end. I'll aspire to that, but not be devastated if I don't end up with one. An end result could possibly be a monologue or two, maybe a couple of scene from a play? There will almost definitely be some collaboration involved in this journey, considering the fact that I hate trekking through things alone, especially new things. As for community, well, I think I've lost my sense of it last quarter. I've mostly just relied on whoever my scene partner was at the time, and Luke for advice. While that is a community of some sorts, it's extremely small, and it's time to expand. The five criteria to evaluate my work by the end of this quarter will be as follows:

  1. Log kept of rehearsals and my feelings, thoughts, etc. about them
  2. Effective use of acting techniques
  3. A scene and/or monologue that is presented at the end of the quarter
  4. Having at least one book read for acting research (besides the biography) 
  5. Use of at least one new acting technique (most likely more)
A Minor
     For a minor, I plan to do some work and research with music theory. It's something I've been interested in for a very long time, and I've never really had a push or some extra to really sit down throughly learn it. I've a very, very basic knowledge of this, so I'd have to start from the beginning. Hopefully this could lead to maybe some future composing, and if not, it'll help me with the musical stuff I already do. It's a win-win for me. Also, maybe start in on a little singing if that would be alright? If not, that's fine too.

A Book

     For a book, I'd really wanted to read a biography on Clifford Odets. His plays are wonderful, and I feel that if I got some insight on him, it could possibly help me when I work on his scenes, and just scenes in general. But since I can't find one of his biographies that is under 500 pages, I'm going to settle for learning a bit about Tennessee Williams (which isn't really settling at all). His plays are also lovely, and I think that getting insight into any mind of a playwright could help me with my acting (Luke, if  you'd like me to read something different, that's fine too).

Link to book:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Kindness-Of-Strangers-Tennessee/dp/0306808056/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366078456&sr=8-2&keywords=tennessee+williams+biography

1 comment:

  1. Odets is so unheralded these days... it is sad. And really I consider him so much more important that Williams or Inge, or Neil Simon, or just about any of the better known American play writes. Odets is the connection between Eugene O'Neill and everyone that comes after. He's the true poet of American theatre.

    Why not, instead of a biography, you read plays? Lots of plays. It would be a marvelous education for you. You'll find scenes and monologues a plenty, and we can cover a broad swath of theatre history in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete