Today, Anika and I began finalize what we want our project for this quarter to be. It was a long evolution to finally get where we are now. First, we started with the idea of "pushing boundaries" through photography, such as putting out of the ordinary make up styles on people and making it beautiful. Then, we got some sense knocked into by Luke, and ended up with the question "what is beauty?" We went through several ideas on that, but none we were entirely satisfied with until we hit the idea of evolution of beauty. I don't think we're entirely sure of the format, maybe stop motion, video, or maybe even just stills, but we want to show how the one image of beauty has evolved through time, how it's always just a fad, and that achieving this image that doesn't exist is impossible. So we'll get ahold of things such as corsets, waxing kits, and bandages for foot binding and show one of us trying to do to make ourselves "beautiful" by putting ourselves in/doing these things. But at the end of this video, we'll show how we're okay with ourselves the way we are, and that changing yourself is futile, because as cheesy as it sounds, everyone's beautiful the way they are. Truly. At least to me everyone is.
I'm excited to start working on this. Really Excited.
Side note: While doing Research, we were told to check out Umberto Eco, who wrote about the history of beauty in art, and also wrote about how we view ugliness. I'm not sure how much he still applies to this project, but what I found about out about these books seemed incredibly interesting, so I ordered both and cannot wait to read them.
This is a project with wonderful potential, and I'm excited about it as well.
ReplyDeleteSo, TWO totally hardcore books by Umberto Eco... these are really interesting books, and I love Eco, and I'm proud that you've decided to bite off such a huge nearly undigestible chunk of thinking and writing. It seems you are staking out your territory as the freshman intellectual and philosopher, a position which you fit.